Centrica sells Lynn and Inner Dowsing offshore wind farms

Thursday, 11 February, 2016 - 10:30

UK Green Investment Bank Offshore Wind Fund and funds managed by BlackRock invest £ 423 million in the acquisition of GLID from Centrica and EIG. Hereinafter, Lynn and Inner Dowsing will become UK’s first 100 % non-utility owned offshore wind farms.

The UK Green Investment Bank Offshore Wind Fund and funds managed by BlackRock have acquired GLID Wind Farms TopCo Limited (GLID) from Centrica and EIG Global Energy Partners (EIG) in a transaction worth £ 423 million. GLID owns the Lynn and the Inner Dowsing offshore wind farm off the coast of Lincolnshire, England. Each project has 54 turbines and a capacity of 194 MW.

The UK Green Investment Bank Fund will now own a 61 % stake in the offshore projects. The BlackRock-managed funds will own the remaining 39 %. According to the UK Green Investment Bank, the transaction marks the first time that operating offshore wind farms in the UK have been 100 % owned by non-utility investors. Complete ownership of GLID’s other operating asset, the 26 MW Glens of Foudland onshore wind farm in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, will be transferred to the funds managed by BlackRock.

An existing Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) will see Centrica purchase 100 % of the power produced by the wind farms and 50 % of the Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) until 2024. Centrica will continue to provide operations and maintenance (O&M) support to the projects until March 2017.

Karl Smith, Fund Manager, UK Green Investment Bank Financial Services, said: ”The unique partnership that we have entered into demonstrates the ability of the Offshore Wind Fund to capitalise on opportunities presented by the UK offshore wind sector, as well as highlighting the quality of existing assets in UK waters.” Rory O'Connor, Managing Director, BlackRock, added: “This landmark transaction demonstrates BlackRock’s significant investment programme in the UK renewables sector. For investors, the sector can provide opportunities for less correlated, inflation-linked, long-duration income and attractive risk-adjusted returns.”

Katharina Garus / Green Investment Bank

Similar Entries

Pin Piles for Greater Changhua OWF at Gwangyang Port (pict. EEW GROUP)

The EEW Group is pleased to announce that the production of 123 pin piles for the Greater Changhua 1 & 2a Offshore Wind Farms project has been successfully completed.

(l to r): Austin Coughlan, Head of Temporis Aurora Fund and Director of Inis Offshore Wind;  Vanessa O’Connell, Head of Inis Offshore Wind and Aoife Galvin, Senior Offshore Project Manager, Inis Offshore Wind, who joined from ESB (pict. ReputationInc)

Temporis Investment Management (“Temporis”) has on October 11th announced the launch of Inis Offshore Wind, a new Irish renewable energy firm with plans to develop at least 1GW of offshore wind capacity by 2030. This would constitute a significant contribution to Ireland’s offshore wind targets and provide enough electricity to power over 800,000 homes.

Norwind Offshore. from left:: Maren Kleven Fox, Magnus Kleven, Sverre Olav Farstad, Jon Ketil Gjørtz, Sverre Andreas Farstad, Svein Leon Aure, Espen Volstad, Eivind Volstad

Farstad, Volstad and Kleven are combining forces to establish the ship-owning company Norwind Offshore. The company will offer specialised vessels designed specifically for advanced maritime operations in the development and service of the offshore wind sector. Norwind Offshore has entered into a contract with Vard for the delivery of three vessels by 2024 - with options for two more vessels in 2025. The first vessel is due to be delivered in 2022.

Edda Wind - Offshore Wind Service Vessels

Following the receipt of equipment orders for four offshore wind service vessels announced in May 2020, MacGregor, part of Cargotec, has received an additional order for another two Commissioning Service Operation Vessels (CSOV) that will further expand the Østensjø Rederi Edda Wind fleet.

 
 
 

Contact